Scope of Work
Advocacy Department Summer Intern
May 30 - August 11, 2017 (Flexible)
A paid internship with the CRS Advocacy Department to provide assistance to our Headquarters in Baltimore-based team.
The Advocacy Department is responsible for crafting, coordinating and implementing the advocacy efforts of Catholic Relief Services as it relates to public policy. Working closely with the Overseas Support Department, U.S. regional offices, and the United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, the CRS Advocacy Department designs advocacy strategies to successfully promote CRS’ public policy priorities.
Work to Be Accomplished:
Assist with day-to-day tasks of the Advocacy Department, including the department’s grassroots and grasstops advocacy efforts and the work of the Vice President for Government Relations and Advocacy as directed.
Specific tasks Include:
1. Research CRS’ relationships with key members of Congress and the impact of our advocacy efforts on their position.
2. Provide research assistance for ongoing advocacy benchmarking efforts.
3. Collect and make accessible stories, photos and other content to support CRS public policy priorities.
4. Review data and research related to public policy priorities, messaging for advocacy and grasstops/grassroots advocacy best practices.
5. Support staff to stage webcasts and briefings on public policy priorities.
6. Update content on Advocacy SharePoint site.
7. Attend and report on relevant hearings on Capitol Hill and/or other policy meetings in Washington, DC.
8. Other duties as assigned.
· Ability to work a minimum of 20 hours per week.
· Proven interest in international affairs, political science, public policy, communications/public relations and/or relevant social sciences.
· Strong interpersonal and communications skills.
· Motivated self-starter.
· Excellent research and writing skills.
· Proven Microsoft Office skills and expert use of various web-based applications, and an eagerness to learn new software applications. Familiarity with Convio Illuminate, SharePoint and Salesforce.com a plus.
· Commitment to the mission of Catholic Relief Services.
Compensation: Reimbursement for transportation between Baltimore/Washington, DC and to/from meetings as applicable.
NOTE: All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. at the time of application.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
For questions, please contact:
Advisor, Grassroots Advocacy
Catholic Relief Services