Job Title: Program Manager I – Financial Accounting
Department/Country: Central African Republic
Position Type: Full Time
Job Location: Bangui
Reports to: Finance Manager
CRS has started working in CAR since 2007. The CAR country program portfolio include two (2) multi-year USAID funded program covering respectively peace-building and community-based early warning systems activities. Peace-building program aims at consolidating, through a consortium, at strengthening Interreligious Platform working on rebuilding social cohesion in CAR while community-based early warning systems focuses on equipping communities to protect themselves against LRA incursions. In addition to these two major USAID funded program, CRS-CAR implements some other short term funded programs in the field of SHELTER and Food Security with main donors including OFDA, IRW, Norway, FAO and CHF via Bekou. These programs are being implemented in the cities of Obo, Zemio, Rafai, Bangassou and Bakouma for the USAID-community-based early warning systems and in Bossangoa, Bouar and Boda for the other programs.
The Program Manager I – Financial Accounting provides support to the Finance Manager in the daily operations of financial accounting and regular monitoring of all account balances (cash, credit and debit balances, partner advances, donor funds) following the procedures of CRS.
His/her primary function is to provide close capacity building support to the finance national staff in ensuring that job under their performance is performed in a timely manner. He / She ensures that programs are supported to effectively meet articulated needs, manage risk, and increase efficiency. He / She ensures that his support to the team saves time and effort of his supervisor who in turn will focus on more strategical finance management of the country program.
Reporting and system management
• Update exchange rates in Sun System ledger according to the HQ/Finance policy/procedure
• Ensure that field offices transmit financial reports or transaction templates within established deadlines.
• Run cost allocation monthly for all 3 pools (Vehicle, Facility and Project Support). Review to ensure the accuracy of all information entered and confirm that the pool balances are zero at the end of each month.
• Ensure that a complete and accurate package of the monthly financial report is prepared before the 5th of the following month and submitted to the Finance Manager for review
• Incorporate feedback from HQ Finance and CARO RFO to ensure all comments and recommendations are implemented before the subsequent month close.
• Follow through the financial closure of CRS Discretionary Funded projects, in collaboration with the Finance Manager, the HoP and Program Managers,
• Prepare monthly financial report to be submitted to the CP Senior Management.
• Support the FM in the Year end close
Accounting and quality assurance
• Perform weekly system analysis to identify irregularities such as wrong combinations of DSPN, use of wrong account codes etc. and propose immediate corrective actions to the Finance Manager.
• Review all financial vouchers for accuracy and ensure that there is adequate supporting documentation
• Ensure that vouchers are posted on a daily basis or at a minimum, 3 times a week
• Review intra agency files from HQ and post the file once it is confirmed that all charges are legitimate/valid expenses incurred on behalf of the CP
• Review and post suspense files within 2 days of notification from the HQ/analyst
• Ensure monthly monitoring of travel advances, employee receivables and other advances to staff in accordance with CRS policies, and ensure close out of staff advances in timely basis.
• Monitor the OCH expenditures from the field offices and oversee the liquidation of each report. Visit field offices to provide training support as needed.
• Ensure that there is an updated T4 codes listing in Sun systems Address book based on approved Vendor listing and Patriot Act check.
• Support the FM in closing internal and external audit findings
Staff management and supervision
• Provide on-going technical support and coaching to finance officers in Bangui and the field offices
• Monitor staff performance and take adequate and on time actions to address performance issues
Banking and cash management
• Review cash forecasts submitted by PMs and ensure that their requests are within approved budget
• Conduct and document weekly cash counts in Bangui and each time a visit is made to the field offices.
• Prepare monthly bank reconciliations for the FMs review
• Serve as Finance Manager in the absence of the incumbent.
• Other duties as requested by CRS.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
• Serves with Integrity
• Models Stewardship
• Cultivates Constructive Relationships
• Promotes Learning
A national staff team comprised of: Three (3) accountants; One (1) Cashier;
Key Working Relationships:
Internal: Finance Manager, Deputy Finance Manager-Grant and Compliance, finance team, HoOPs, HOP, Program Managers and Chief of Party, Country Representative, Procurement Manager, Administrative Officer, HR Officer, IT Officer, HQ Finance, DRD/MQ, RFO, Internal Auditors.
External: Donors, Sub-recipients, Suppliers and External Auditors
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Strong customer service orientation and effective communication skills (good listener, positive, supportive, clear, constructive, and accessible) both written and verbal.
• Knowledge of English is required.
• Excellent skills in Excel required. Knowledge of other application software, such as Word, Visio and PowerPoint highly desired.
• Strong planning and organizational skills.
• Ability to prepare training materials and to present training materials.
• Ability to learn fast and adapt quickly to change.
• Willingness to work the hours needed to meet deadlines, and work well under pressure.
• Desire to work in a collaborative and proactive team environment, but able to work independently.
• University Degree in Accounting, Finance or related field or equivalent work experience required. A professional certification in Accounting or a related field highly desired.
• Minimum of three years professional experience in a financial management position of responsibility, at least one of which is in a supervisory position required;
• Budgeting and budget management experience required.
• Knowledge of SunSystems financial accounting package or similar financial reporting software highly desired.
• Sound knowledge of local law in the areas of taxation and local regulatory reporting obligations is required
• Strong knowledge of effective management practices desired
• Knowledge of the relevant public donors’ regulations will be highly desired.
Required Foreign Language: French.
Required Travel: The position is based in Bangui requiring travel 20% of the time on average
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.